Monday 12 March 2018

Tipping in Thailand


Teng, Our Receptionist and Thai Cultural Advisor
I am a member of a number of tourist groups and regularly the question of tips comes up. Many people think that Thai's are offended by tips and don't want to cause offense.

So I decided to get the truth from my receptionist, Teng, who origintates from Phatthalung province but has worked in Phuket and Koh Lanta. Now I will be clear I did not tell her that her current share of the tips was dependent on her answer!

I was a little surprised by her answer, I believed that whilst Thai's in general don't tip, they are grateful for any tip. But she said, no she tipped for good service and it could be between 100 to 200 baht! She said many waiters need it, I believe because Thai salaries for waiting staff in many restaurants are low.

Tips are shared equally among Mook Lanta Team
So I asked her if she was different to many Thais and if some Thai people were offended by the offering of a tip, she said 'no.'

Finally I asked her advice for tourists regarding tipping:
'Up to you.If you think they done the good thing for you or help you why not to do that.' 
Now I don't think you can get a more Thai response than that!

 This advice is based on no service charge being added to your bill.

Our unsung hero
For your information, all the tips at Mook Lanta are shared equally between all our staff, unless they are personally given to a particular member of staff, because we believe some of our unsung heroes, such as Ya, our Handyman and Gardener, can help ensure a guests stay is pleasurable, but never gets to meet the guests. 

Thank you Teng for taking the time to answer these questions.
'

No comments:

Post a Comment